Drawing-A-Day // May 29 2012:
Though this past academic year has certainly improved me technically, it has also hurt my confidence a great deal. My from-the-head drawings tend to feel not quite good enough, and my referenced drawings feel not quite original enough. In high school I did both and although I've always been (and always will be) a self-punishing perfectionist, I don't recall worrying this much. So anyway, I used to draw from other peoples' photographs quite a bit. My favourite subjects were always musician types whom I would never be able to photograph myself (and who had long since aged). In that sort of case, it's hard to distinguish what is and isn't copying. But there's a really great quote from Jim Jarmusch in which he points out the nonexistence of originality and the subsequent position of authenticity. And basically, if you care about your subject, there's no way it won't be authentic.
So to restore my confidence, I figured I'd go all the way back to the beginning. I've been wanting very badly to do some tribute-ish pieces like I used to do in high school. I've been holding back because I get very hung up on likenesses and, once again, there's that "copying" issue. SO, I thought the best thing to do would be to go really and truly back to the start.
The Beatles were my first musical love. They made enthusiasm for music my lifestyle. Although they've been shuffled around my musical pantheon by several other groups over the years, they remain incredibly dear to me. Their music and their story will always be a comfort as they were one of the first powerful constants in my adolescence. My three best friends and I fell for The Beatles at the same time, and as we all conveniently had our own favourite member we began referring to ourselves individually as our respective favourites (and collectively as The Fab Four).
From the very start George was my Beatle. I loved that he and Ringo were sort of background figures, but that you knew they were invaluable. I loved his endearing amateur voice in those early songs, and the way it eventually became so distinctive and unusual. I loved his jagged teeth and his powerful eyes and his monkey ears. I loved his post-Beatles penchant for gardening and his preference for seclusion. I loved his Python association. And even now, with all my musical knowledge, I still prefer his post-Beatles work to that of the others-- even Paul's! And I think that my fondness for George is indicative of the rest of my tastes. You can find it in the upbeat energy and the off-center catchiness of groups like XTC. I really do love George.
SO, let's see if this going-back-to-the-start thing works. I have a great familiarity with rendering George's face so it felt sort of natural to come back to him. My plan of action now is to continue down the line of familiar heroes, hopefully. Eventually. More novels to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment