Tuesday, May 27, 2014

In a Few Fell Swoops



Before I started my daily journal, I occasionally went without drawing for days or weeks. When I did sit down to draw or if I began spontaneously, the results were usually potent but longwinded. Now, even on my off days, I always draw something. Genius does not typically pour from my pen on such days. But I think that resisting my funks, however slightly-- even when my daily drawing is just a cuss word scrawled across the page-- is good for me because it teaches me to agonize less. Single drawings no longer claim weeks of my time. I've stopped rendering with my face pressed up against the paper-- and I don't then end up with something unintentionally twisted when I step away. Now, to hone that precision in a highly rendered setting-- Struzan and Leyendecker still loom large before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment